Tanzania issues special mining license for world’s largest unexploited nickel deposits


Following the signing of the Framework Agreement last January, the Government of Tanzania has now issued a special mining licence (SML) for a period of over 30 years for the Kabanga Nickel project, covering the full life of the project.

The Kabanga Nickel Project holds the world’s largest development-ready nickel sulphide deposit and will produce Class 1 battery grade nickel, cobalt and copper. Its cradle-to-gate operation will notably rely on the hydromet technology, which is more cost efficient than smelting but can also reduce the carbon footprint and environmental impact of operations.

Based on approximately 600 km of drilling, Kabanga’s previous owners, Barrick Gold Corporation and Glencore, had published a 2014 Resource Estimate (Measured, Indicated and Inferred) of 58 million tonnes of ore at an average in-situ nickel grade of 2.62%. Mineralisation of the resource is greater than 95% massive sulphide.

In order the develop the project, Kabanga Nickel and the Government of Tanzania had signed last January a Framework Agreement establishing the Tembo Nickel Corporation. The operating company is now the one in charge of mining, processing and refining the Class 1 nickel with cobalt and copper co-products. Tembo is owned at 84% by Kabanga Nickel with the remaining 16% held by the Government of Tanzania.

By accelerating the development of the project, Kabanga Nickel will be increasing the supply of crucial minerals in the development and manufacture of batteries used in electric vehicles. On the back of growing demand for EV batteries, global supply of nickel is forecast to grow from 2.25 million tonnes in 2020 to 5 million tonnes by 2040, according to Roskill.

Read more

PE Energy opens new Centre of Excellence to support Nigerian content

Over the weekend, PE Energy officially opened its new Centre of Excellence for valves assembly, valves actuation, metering systems, pump and compressor solutions, process automation and control systems integration in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. The state-of-the-art facility covers over 11,000 m2 and was constructed by Megastar Technical Construction Co. It is set to become one of […]

Mainstream Renewable Power big winner in South Africa’s 2.5 GW renewable energy bid round

South Africa’s Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE), Mr. Gwede Mantashe, has announced yesterday the preferred bidders for the Renewable Energy Independent Power Producers Procurement Programme (REIPPPP) Bid Window 5. The round resulted in the selection of five consortium as preferred bidders for 25 projects totalling 2,583 MW of renewable energy. The bidders will […]

Leave a Comment